Sunday, December 5, 2010

Oh Land

Nanna Øland Fabricius, a native of Denmark, was forced to leave the Royal Swedish Ballet School after a back injury ended a promising start to her career. The daughter of an opera singer and a composer, she channeled her intense understanding of music and the pain of giving up ballet into singing, and produced her own debut album, entitled 'Fauna', under the name 'Oh Land'. 

The album has a beautiful, light, ecletic, electro-pop sound, and Nanna has a stunning, delicate voice. She now lives in Williamsburg, New York, and her second self-titled album is scheduled to be released in early 2011. As any dancer who has struggled with a serious injury knows, stopping because your body is telling you to is so difficult and emotionally painful when your heart tells you you can't give up yet. Oh Land, then, has lots to write about. 


I remember struggling through my first slew of knee dislocations when I was younger.
One day, sitting in the emergency waiting room at the hospital, I wrote in a notebook:

Once striving for perfection,
I am faulty.
Once yearning to be beautiful,
I am ugly.

I am broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment